Friday, September 26, 2008

Breakfast Casserole

I love breakfast, it's always been one of my favorite meals of the day. Ok who am I kidding, I love all meals, but anyways breakfast has always held a special place in my heart. Saturday or Sunday morning breakfasts were always something special when I was growing up. It was the one time my dad got in the kitchen, and the one time we weren't all running in a zillion different directions. So that meant we always did it up right, and now I like to carry on that tradition with my own family. Now if only I could get my hubby up before noon so that he could actually partake in the meal without having to reheat it. But I digress, this casserole is a warm and hearty breakfast that is deserving of taking its place on my weekend morning ritual. What's great about it is you can prep the night before and then just pop it in the oven before you've even had coffee. I'm definitely not one for waking up at dawns first light to cook up my yummy breakfasts.

Menu: Breakfast Casserole and some nice fresh fruit

Breakfast Casserole

Ingredients:
Cooking spray
1 (16-ounce) package frozen turkey sausage, thawed (such as Louis Rich) I'm just using breakfast sausage
8 (1 1/2-ounce) slices sourdough bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 8 cups)
2/3 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
1 cup egg substitute
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 (10.75-ounce) can condensed 30% reduced-sodium, 98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup, undiluted




  1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sausage to pan; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring well to crumble.

  2. Arrange bread in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top evenly with cooked turkey sausage and cheddar cheese. Combine 2 1/2 cups milk, egg substitute, and Dijon mustard, stirring with a whisk. Pour over bread mixture in dish. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.

  3. Preheat oven to 350'

  4. Uncover casserole. Combine remaining 1/2 cup milk and cream of mushroom soup, stirring with a whisk. Pour over bread mixture. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until set and lightly browned. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

Recipe and photo courtesy of CookingLight

No comments: