Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembering


Remembering 9/11, there are few times in history where an event causes the nation and the world to stop in time. An event that every person who was alive knows exactly where they were and what they were doing. You can ask anyone older than 50 where they were on Friday, November 22, 1963 and they can tell you. And you can ask anyone older than 12 where they were on Tuesday, September 11, 2001 and they can tell you.

I was walking into my accounting class at Texas A&M. I sat down unaware of anything that was happening over a thousand miles away. I overheard classmates talking about how they couldn't believe what just happened but I didn't really understand. My professor walked in and his exact words "Needless to say we won't be having class today" and he walked out. I was stunned, walked out of the room, walked to the bus stop and dialed my mom. I asked what just happened, she told me, there was fear and panic in her voice. The paranoia that more was going to happen, would they strike again, should they leave the city? Off the bus, I got in my truck and drove home to find my roommate panic stricken, her father was at the Pentagon, she couldn't get hold of him. We sat glued to the tv watching in disbelief. We watched as they replayed the events, and we watched as suddenly the towers collapsed. It was like a disconnect, your heart and head just can't wrap around what your eyes are seeing. Together we sat there with that stunned silence, a feeling that we had felt together once before. See we were together when the Bonfire collapsed as well. Finally after hours my roommate got the relief she needed, her father had been at breakfast across the street from the Pentagon.

Funny how you can remember things like this. I remember it with such vivid details, the sky, the bus, the darkness of my accounting room, the smell in the air. All of this and I can only imagine what it must be like for those who were in the thick of it all. So for those who were there, those who lost their lives please take a moment today and remember. Remember where you were, remember those who died, remember those families dealing with the effects, remember those who fight now for the events of that day.

No comments: