Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Wild Berry Pancakes

I was scanning through some of the entries for the Pioneer Woman's cooking challenge and came across this yummy recipe for wild berry pancakes and I knew I had to try them. For starters my family LOVES pancakes, I think monster (my son) could eat them and waffles for every meal. I think it has something to do with the syrup though. Anyways I had a bag of frozen mixed berries leftover and have been trying to figure out how to use them other than my famous mixed berry cobbler. So this seemed like the perfect way. I have to thank Bethany for this yummy breakfast bounty. Since I'm working late all this week, I'm going to go ahead and make these Wednesday night and then hubby and monster can just reheat them Thursday night.

Menu: Wild Berry Pancakes and maple sausage patties

Wild Berry Pancakes

Ingredients:
3 C. whole milk (you could probably use 2% or even skim as a substitute, but WHY?)
3 Tbs. lemon juice
2 C. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. fine sea salt
3 Tbs. sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
4 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
A splash of vanilla
1 ½ C. mixed wild berries, fresh or frozen








  1. Combine milk with lemon juice in a medium-sized mixing bowl and let sit.
  2. Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
  3. Mix eggs, melted butter, and vanilla with the milk.
  4. Preheat griddle over medium-low heat and lightly butter.
  5. Add liquid ingredients to dry ones and whisk lightly just until combined (batter should still be lumpy).
  6. Pour batter onto pre-heated griddle to desired pancake size and sprinkle top with berries.
  7. When bubbles rise to the surface, flip pancake and cook 1 or 2 minutes longer until golden brown.
  8. Serve warm with powdered sugar.
Maple Sausage Patties: I love frozen sausage patties, so easy so simple. Throw them straight into the skillet from the freezer. Cook until they're done, remove from the skillet and drain the grease. Now throw them back into the hot skillet and drizzle with mayple syrup. Let it soak into the patties.

Plate your pancakes and patties. Make sure to have an ice cold glass of milk ready and waiting 'cause you'll need something to cut the sweet stickiness of this sweet-tooth fixer.

Photo courtesy of taylorkoa22

No comments: