Monday, August 18, 2008

Menu Planning Monday - August 18th

What's the secret to my success in the kitchen, ha yeah right success, well at least sanity? It's menu planning and I'm teaming up with Organized Junkie and will start sharing my weekly menus. Usually I try to do 2 to 4 week menus since I like to only go to the grocery store once every 2 weeks and then Sam's Club once every few months, but I digress. Menu planning helps save money time, and most of all my relationship with the hubby. If I menu plan, I know what's for dinner and can get it on the table in no time flat with little interference or killing my hubby because I'm usually in a bad mood by the time I make it home 'cause I'm starving. So for our inaugural menu planning Monday here's the menu...



Monday
Dinner: Crockpot Vegetable Minestrone and garlic bread sticks

Tuesday
Dinner: Red Chile Pork Tacos, fruit salsa and black beans

Sweet, succulent onions are the perfect foil for this savory pork taco filling. Ancho chile powder gives the meat a mild, slightly fruity chile flavor.

Its another great recipe from Cooking Light only instead of using the oven we'll be using the crockpot.



Wednesday
Dinner: Mexican Lasagna

Something to keep in mind is that this is an extremely flexible recipe. You can add or omit ingredients to your taste and whatever you do, this “Lasagna” will surely be amazing. I’m using a full-sized pan for this (something that will feed 20+ people) so keep that in mind and cut the recipe in half if you’re just using a regular casserole dish. Be on the look out for quantities such as “some”, “A few”, or “A good bit of”…just remember, this is flexible. Don’t stick too closely to my exact recipe. Make it all your own.

This recipe comes from The Pioneer Woman's guest recipe blogger Pastor Ryan. It looks super simple and yummy.


Thursday
Dinner: Honey Chipotle BBQ Chicken Sandwiches, potato salad and corn on the cob

This recipe yields slow-cooked barbecue flavor in less than an hour. The sandwiches need to be broiled at the last minute, but the rest of the menu can be made ahead of time.

Its another great recipe from Cooking Light only instead of using the oven we'll be using the crockpot.


Friday
Dinner: It's Pizza Night! Store bought pizza and salad.

It's Friday night and I never feel like cooking so I try to pop in a store bought pizza and put together a bag of pre-made salad. Its easy and the dishes are minimal. This allows me to catch up on any cleaning and/or keep the kitchen clean for the weekend. I like DiGiorno or California Pizza Kitchen (later only on a splurge) but any brand you like best will work.



Saturday
Breakfast: Mixed Berry Pancakes and sausage patties
Lunch: Sandwiches
Dinner: Grilled Chicken, stovetop stuffing and brussel sprouts


Sunday
Breakfast: Biscuits and jelly, scrambled eggs
Lunch: leftovers
Dinner: Spaghetti, ceasar salad and garlic bread

So now here's your shopping list for the week...

August 18th Shopping List

Now stay tuned for each day's recipe. I promise they will be posted bright and early each morning, or if they need to cook overnight I will post no later than 9 PM the night prior.

No comments: