Monday, August 11, 2008

Fancy Duds Potatoes

In an effort to get creative and well I really want to win this cooking contest where I could win a giftcard, see SITS Girls Logo for contest details. I'm going to play around with one of my family's favorite recipes. Now a little history....

In my junior year of college I thought I'd play house and doing some cooking. My roommate and I had a great little duplex with a huge kitchen, I had a boyfriend that I wanted to show off for and I wanted to prove to my parents that I really was a big girl making it on my own. So what did I do? I hosted Easter dinner at my house. I ordered a ham from Honey Baked Ham, 'cause lets be honest I didn't know the first thing about cooking a ham, and ham is a staple for Easter. After that I searched for some great side dish recipes. Somehow someway I found this amazing recipe. After a few tweaks to make it my own and a little bit healthier, I call it my...

Three Cheese Gourmet Scalloped Potatoes
  • 1 large clove garlic -- minced
  • 1 shallot -- minced
  • 3 tablespoons melted butter
  • 1 1/4 cups milk
  • 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt (sour cream works too)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 1/2 pounds red potatoes -- sliced 1/8" thick
  • 3 ounces Gruyere cheese -- grated
  • 1 ounce Swiss cheese -- grated
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese -- grated
  1. Saute first 3 ingredients for 2 minutes.
  2. In a separate bowl whip together the milk and yogurt. You may need to add more milk depending on the consistency. Your yogurt should dissolve into the milk and the milk mixture should be the consistency of cream. Salt and pepper the mixture and add to the saute pan.
  3. Add potatoes and bring to a boil over medium heat.
  4. Transfer 1/2 of the potatoes to 9x12-inch casserole dish.
  5. Add 1/2 of the Gruyere cheese and 1/2 of the Swiss cheese.
  6. Transfer remainder of potatoes and carefully pour milk mixture into the dish.
  7. Add remainder of Gruyere and Swiss cheeses and top with Parmesan cheese.
  8. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes. Let stand 20-30 minutes before serving.

I quickly added it to the menu, among other things that I can't remember because this dish outdid everything else on the table! And quickly because a requested dish at our table every year, it became famous at my office pot luck and has quickly grown into my signature dish that I bake for others.

Unfortunately you just have to imagine what this yummy recipe looks like because my camera sucks and if I posted a picture of this ooey gooey goodie well let's be honest it wouldn't be so appetizing.

No comments: