Friday, August 8, 2008

Apron Strings

Never did I think the day would come when I understood the necessity of aprons. Oh I remember watching all the classic tv shows where the women wore aprons and played Susie Homemaker. I remember thinking, now why do they wear those things, I don't see the purpose and surely that's the reason they went out of style. I mean I grew up never seeing my mom in an apron and she was most definitely an 80's Susie Homemaker of a stay-at-home-mom. So alas my thoughts were they were just a fashion trend something that came and went like hoop skirts, corsets, poodle skirts, bell bottoms and jordash jeans. Flash foward to 2008 and for the first time in my life I understand why those women wore and NEEDED aprons! It's like a lightbulb went off. Oh and it's not just because I'm doing more cooking, no I've always cooked. It's because now I understand that when you have a child following you around in the kitchen, while you dredge the roast in flour, that child will get into something they shouldn't and there's no time to find the towel from the sink to wipe your hands before you grab said child. It's a necessity to have that apron on your waist so as you run to grab your little monster, you can quickly wipe your hands and snatch him up without getting flour all over your nice black work pants or your child.

Now since I have only just seen the light, I don't actually own an apron and have had to resort to wear a kitchen towel tucked into the waist of my pants. But that is most definitely going to change because I have found some really cute aprons that I'm falling in love with, if only I could decide which to get.

Rick Rack Attack, a really cute online store has authentic vintage aprons with the classic rick rack ribbon.

Sommer Designs, was recently featured on the Pioneer Woman's blog, and has modern fashionable hostess style aprons.


Carolyn's Kitchen, has your "sex-kitten" style aprons that will be sure to make your husbands swoon. I'm thinking I might have to get one of these for a naughty night when our little monster goes to grandma's house.


And of course the mother of all handmade trading/selling sites, Etsy has a multitude of sellers displaying aprons.

Oh so many to choose from, I might just have to get a few. If aprons are like towels they'll get dirty and I just have to have one for everyday right? ;)

1 comment:

Jean said...

Awesome blogg you have here