Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Traditional Tuna Casserole

Though it was still extremely hot, we're talking 101 rather than 105, I took the opportunity to use the oven for dinner last night. Again I didn't feel like doing much work so I just whipped up a classic staple of American households since as early as the 1940s. Like most of my dishes I try to modify the full fat recipe into a slightly lesser fat value and the traditional tuna casserole create by Campbell's soups is no different. Served with sliced pineapple and ice cold glass of milk, and instantly my family's been transformed into the Cleavers.

Traditional Tuna Casserole


Ingredients:
1 large can of tuna fish (I use white in water)
1 can of cream of mushroom soup (I use 98% fat free)
1 to 1/2 cups of frozen peas
1 to 2 cups egg noodles (I use wheat pasta)
handful of french fried onions
salt & pepper to taste


Preheat oven to 375 degrees


(picture is courtesy of the recipe's original creator Campbell's soups)


  1. Cook egg noodles according to package directions. When using whole wheat pastas you usually need to cook longer than traditional flour pastas.
  2. In a 1 qt baking dish combine drained tuna, mushroom soup, frozen peas, salt & pepper.
  3. Drain noodles and add to tuna mixture. Mix noodles and tuna well, coating every noodle with mixture.
  4. Once mixed well, smooth top and sprinkle onion rings on top.
  5. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
  6. Once rings are crispy and brown remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.

No comments: