Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Oeufes Brouilles (Scrambled Eggs)

I know scrambled eggs. I know that slow and low is best, I know that adding a splash of milk makes them creamy and that salt is key to the right flavor. I make scrambled eggs at least once a week. My lil monster LOVES scrambled eggs and I like that it gives us variety to the monotonous cereal mornings. So I figured I'd start with the most simple, most comfortable recipe from Chapter Three.

I gaulked when I saw 2 tbsp of butter in the recipe! I have NEVER, NEVER EVER used butter when making my scrambled eggs. But I went ahead since this is supposed to be a learning experience. Granted I was supposed to use a 7 to 8 inch skillet but sadly I don't have one that small, so my 10 inch omlette pan would have to suffice. 2 tbsp of butter into the pan and in went the 8 eggs (remember this is breakfast for 3). I figured we'd have leftovers, right. :) My eggs came together nicely and as instructed I added the cream at the end of the cooking process, something I had never done before either. When I add milk/cream I have always put it in prior to cooking. The eggs were done and looked pretty yummy. I quickly fried up a few pieces of ham and made toast to finish off our meal.

Let me say after one bite I was impressed! These were the best scrambled eggs I've ever had, seriously! So creamy and soft, they just melted in your mouth. I think you could eat them without having to chew. And I was not the only one, my family of 3 ate a meal supposed to serve 5. My lil monster couldn't get enough, he ate his plate and then ate half of daddy's and half of mommy's. I can only imagine how great these eggs would be had I added cheese or any of the suggested items. But really they were just perfect on their own.

Now as much as I LOVE LOVE LOVE these eggs I don't think my waistline or heart would love these eggs as much if I made them this way everytime. See I'm supposed to be losing the baby weight, crazy I know to think I'm going to lose weight while cooking my way through a French cookbook! However to take advice from Julia herself "the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snaking, and a little bit of everything." So I will make them again but just not every week.

No comments: