Friday, June 27, 2008

Freezer Fast Meal Staples

As a working mom, time is of limited supply. I have an hour commute to and from work each day in addition to my 8 hour job, so add that and I've got a 10 hour day just outside of the home. By the time I get home everybody is usually starving and really too tired to do much more work than hitting the start button on the microwave. In an effort to curb our unhealthy habits of turning to microwave meals I keep our freezer full of meals that can go from freezer to oven and/or just have to be brought out the morning of and thrown in the oven when I get home. Here are a few of our favorites.


I like to do my mass cooking on Sundays that way I'm not constantly cooking every night and only have to do dishes once! In preparation for my cooking I make sure I have lots of storage containers and I set out all of my ingredients for each dish in a pile next to the directions. If I'm cooking 3 items with chicken, I go ahead and cook all of the chicken I'll need for all three dishes. So that time can be used most efficiently I like to prep & cook all of the dishes simultaneously, so that means cutting the potatoes for 2 dishes while the pasta boils and the pot pie base thickens. After all of my meals are prepared and ready for the freezer I carefully label each container and tape the cooking instructions to them. Remember to cool the meals in the fridge before storing in the freezer!

No comments: